Tuesday, April 5, 2011

3/19/11 CHASE NEAR PLAINVIEW, TX

Started off the day at the NWS convention at the Amarillo Civic Center. Had lots of fun with the guys from the station and my chaser buds. It looked to be a possible chase day with Td in the 50's and a warm front hanging around the area. I stayed at the Civic Center until about 2:30 or so and then went home to take a short nap. That was my mistake. I got back up and saw convection SE of Plainview and scrambled to get to that area. A tornado warning was issued for the cell that was SE of Plainview, but I was just too late in getting there. I made it south of Plainview and saw the storm that initially had the tornado warning on it. It still had a pretty well defined wall cloud with it, but the light was fading fast. I then went back to Plainview and found a nice spot to watch the rest of the convection move to the north. All in all, it was great to get out for the first time in 2011 and see some convection and CG's which really helped with the SDS that I had acquired over the long winter months!

PHOTO #1 and #2: Convection near Plainview, TX


No comments: